MLK Day Advisory: Join Martin Luther King III, Speaker Pelosi and More for Voting Rights Press Conference at Union Station at Noon
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Monday, January 17 starting at noon EST, Martin Luther King III and his family will host a press conference at Union Station in the Columbus Club room featuring Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Rep. Joyce Beatty, Rep. Terri Sewell, and representatives from national and grassroots partner organizations.
In the morning before the press conference, Martin Luther King III, Arndrea Waters King, Yolanda Renee King and representatives from partner organizations will join the D.C. MLK Holiday Committee for their D.C. Peace Walk: Change Happens with Good Hope and a Dream, rain or snow. The King family will not be formally speaking at the Peace Walk; however, media is invited to capture footage and photos of the family crossing the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge. These events will begin at 9am EST with more details below.
PRESS CONFERENCE DETAILS:
WHAT: The Deliver for Voting Rights campaign led by Martin Luther King III, Arndrea Waters King and over 180 groups will host a press conference on MLK Day to call for no celebration without legislation, and urge President Biden and the Senate to eliminate the filibuster for voting rights ahead of the expected Senate vote on Tuesday.
WHERE: Union Station in the Columbus Club Room at 50 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002.
WHEN: Monday, January 17, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- 10am — Press check-in begins
- All cabling should begin at 9:30am and must be complete by 10:45am through the back entrance
- 12pm — Program start time
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi, U.S. House of Representatives
- Rep. Joyce Beatty (D-OH), Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, U.S. House of Representatives
- Rep. Terri Sewell (D-AL), U.S. House of Representatives
- Martin Luther King III, Chairman of the Drum Major Institute
- Arndrea Waters King, President of the Drum Major Institute
- Yolanda Renee King, Director of Youth Programming for the Drum Major Institute and Granddaughter of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Coretta Scott King
- And many more listed here
REQUIRED RSVP: All media must submit for credentials here to attend and access the press conference. Please keep in mind that your request is subject to review, and submitting this form does not guarantee access to the event. We will follow up to confirm riser space and other details. All RSVPs must be submitted by Saturday, January 15 at 10pm EST.
LIVESTREAM: We will be live on the DeliverForVotingRights.com website.
PARKING & LOGISTICS: There are two satellite truck spots available. Please reach out as soon as possible if you would like to request one. Other parking will be available at the Union Station garage at 30 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002. There will be a stairwell to the second floor to access the room. if you need accommodations or elevator access, please contact [email protected]
COVID REQUIREMENTS: We strongly encourage physical distancing and require masking indoors in alignment with CDC guidelines. All attendees must show proof of one dose of vaccination and I.D. at the door per D.C. requirements for public venues. Due to COVID safety best practices, the program will only be open to speakers and press.
PEACE WALK PHOTO OPPORTUNITY DETAILS:
WHAT: D.C. MLK Holiday Committee for their D.C. Peace Walk: Change Happens with Good Hope and a Dream, rain or snow. The King family will not be formally speaking at the Peace Walk; however, media is invited to capture footage and photos of the family crossing the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge.
- 8:00am — Press welcome to arrive
- Please bring your personal media credentials
- 9:00am — Walk assembly and line up on Potomac Ave (between First St. SE and S Capitol St. SE)
- 10am — March begins across Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge
For further Peace Walk details and direct inquiries for the organizing committee, visit: https://mlkholidaydc.org/