MLK Day Advisory: RSVP to Jan 17 Mobilization in D.C. Organized by Martin Luther King III and Family
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Monday, January 17, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, over 100 national and grassroots partners will join Martin Luther King III and his family in Washington, D.C. to mobilize for voting rights legislation. Attendees will gather on Potomac Ave and then begin marching toward the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge, where Martin Luther King III, Arndrea Waters King and other voting rights leaders and community organizers will host a press conference to send a clear message to President Biden and the Senate: you delivered for bridges, now deliver voting rights.
Following the bridge presser and crossing, Martin Luther King III and his family will join the D.C. Peace Walk: Change Happens with Good Hope and a Dream, an annual event organized by D.C. MLK Holiday Committee, a group dedicated to peace and positivity for Washington, D.C. communities. Founded in 1977, the annual D.C. Peace Walk commemorates Dr. King’s life and legacy through service and activism — and this year, the historic event will join the call to restore and expand the right to vote.
WHAT: Deliver for Voting Rights Mobilization in D.C. will honor Dr. King’s legacy by urging President Biden and the Senate to eliminate the filibuster to pass voting rights legislation
WHO: Martin Luther King III, Arndrea Waters King and Yolanda Renee King in partnership with over 100 leading groups including National Action Network, Planned Parenthood Action Fund, Voto Latino, SEIU, MoveOn, Demos, Working Families Party, Sierra Club, MLK Holiday Committee, Asian and Pacific Islander American Vote (APIAVote), and more. Speakers and notable attendees to be announced.
WHEN: Monday, January 17, Martin Luther King Jr. Day
TIMES AND LOCATIONS:
- 7:30am – Press check in on Potomac Ave (between First St. SE and S Capitol St. SE)
- 9:00am – Assembly and line up on Potomac Ave (between First St. SE and S Capitol St. SE)
- 10am – March toward Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge
- 10:30am – Assemble for press conference on Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge
PEACE WALK ROUTE:
- Continue off the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge to Howard road
- Head southeast on South Capitol Street SE
- Slight left around circle to Suitland Pkwy
- Slight left onto Howard Rd SE
- Head southeast on Howard Rd SE
- Turn left and head northeast on Martin Luther King Jr Ave SE toward Talbert St SE
- Turn right onto Good Hope Rd SE
- Turn left onto Minnesota Ave SE
- Destination: Ambassador Baptist Church, 1412 Minnesota Ave SE, Washington, DC 20020
RSVP: All media must submit for credentials here to attend and access the mobilization. Please keep in mind that your request is subject to review, and submitting this form does not guarantee access to the event.
Note on COVID-19: We strongly encourage physical distancing, masking indoors in alignment with CDC guidelines and recommendations, masking outside, and vaccination for all those who are eligible.